A series of tragic events including the recent mass murder at Sandy Hook has sparked an atmosphere similar to the time leading up to and post 2008 election when we found ourselves in a serious shortage of ammunition and a long wait for “assault weapons.”
Sponsor of the Day: Warrior Summit
Events That Lead Up To Today
Clackamass Mall Shooting
Sandy Hook Elementary School
- Close chronological proximity
April 2Â – A gunman kills seven people and wounds three in a shooting rampage at a Christian college in Oakland.
July 20Â – A masked gunman kills 12 people and wounds 58 when he opens fire on moviegoers at a showing of the Batman film “The Dark Knight Rises” in Aurora, a suburb of Denver, Colorado.
Aug. 5Â – A gunman kills six people during Sunday services at a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, before he is shot dead by a police officer.
Aug. 24Â – Two people are killed and eight wounded in a shooting outside the landmark Empire State Building in New York City at the height of the tourist season.
Sept. 27Â – A disgruntled former employee kills five people and takes his own life in a shooting rampage at a Minneapolis sign company from which he had been fired.
Oct. 21Â – Three people are killed in a Milwaukee area spa including the estranged wife of the suspected gunman, who then killed himself.
Clackamass Mall Shooting
Dec. 14Â – A shooter opens fire at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, killing several people including children.
- Overwhelming loss
- An election that did not have a pro gun outcome
The Events of Today
Dick’s Sporting Goods
Cheaper than Dirt
Add the constant news coverage to the emotional toll of losing 20 children in a single day and folks are bound to react emotionally.
Call from both sides of the issue are seemingly extreme: Ban guns, Arm the teachers…
Short term rush or frenzy
- In Mass – Devito 3 local shops sold out of AR-15s
- In SD – Riter class registrations are up as are sales
- In MN – Matt stores are “Cleared out.”
- In MD – Deryck Poole had a 5 min stop at the shop turn into 2 hours and hears rumblings of complete AW ban
- Tn – Curtis Dodson Shop is empty
- NE Ohio – Great Lakes Outdoors – Ammo Limits – To make sure that there was ammo to head out the door with all of the guns that were being sold.
- I redialed the FBI for 45 minutes trying to get something other than all circuts are busy…
What Should You Do?
Only you can decide what you need and don’t need.
Watch out for price gouging
Look at alternatives
Avoid the frenzy
If you were intrigued by the SSA Podcast, remember to:
Check out our Sponsor of the Day:
- Subscribe to the SSA Mailing List
- Visit our web site at www.SafetySolutionsAcademy.com
- Free Crises Training for Educators
- 30% off SSA Training“30off2013”