I had a chance to spend some time with the Smith & Wesson Shield this past week while helping to run some retired LEOs through a qual. I have to say I am super impressed by this pistol in all ways but one I have some general thoughts about the gun and a concern that I want to share about the magazines. Take some time to swing by the show notes and check out the video and make sure you subscribe to our YouTube channel at SafetySolutionsAC.
The Shield General Thoughts
- Great size
- Felt good in the hand
- Good enough fit with regards to grip length with the standard mag
- Extended mag makes sense as a reload
- Recoil was very manageable
- Never looked at the sights but I do know that they are ramped. WHY?
- Manual Safety Why?
Specific Thoughts On the Extended Magazine
- Adds extra capacity Standard Mag is 7 rounds the Extended Mag is 8 rounds
- Extra rounds are good
- Probably too long for concealment in the gun
- Great idea for a spare mag
- The extended portion is a sleeve that slides over the body of the magazine
- It floats freely
- In the gun no issue
- Not in t the gun could be an issue
- Upside down in a mag pouch
- Pinch flesh
- Worse not seat when you need it to
- Take it off
- Glue it