Reality check. Unless you are some mega, ninja, stud, you are probably a lot like me. That means that WE are much more likely to die because we are old and fat and have a massive heart attack than we are to die in a gunfight. I’m sorry, I know it isn’t as fun to think about the truth. Just bear with me for the next few moments. Remember you are like me right. Well I need more exercise so I can postpone my death as much as possible. So I go to the gym, I work out at home, or where ever I am that I can squeeze in a few minutes of exercise. You know that I carry every where I go, this means I carry when I work out. Whew, we made it back to the tacticool topic. Today we are going to talk about carrying your self-defense handgun while you are working out
- Sponsor of the Day: Templar Custom Arms
- Range time this weekend
- T&E Gun Scheduled to arrive on Monday and
Concealed Carry and Workouts
As I mentioned in the intro, I need exercise. I also mentioned that I ALWAYS carry my gun. Those of us that understand logic would then deduce that I carry my gun when I exercise. One point for logic! I do carry my gun when I work out.
- If I could avoid violence at all times, I would and never carry a gun again
- Since we don’t choose violence and violence chooses us, the time, place and nature aren’t up to me either. I best be prepared to handle it when it happens.
Why Should You Carry a Pistol when you Work Out?
I can’t really answer this question for you. Only you can understand what you should be prepared to deal with and why. What I can do is tell you some of the issues that you should look at that might help you to understand why it might be a good idea for you to carry.
Work out Hours
My life is busy and I often can’t work out when I want to. I end up at that gym early and late.
- Low light
- Low population density
- We all know that the freaks come out at night
- Gyms tend to be located in more urban areas where crime is more common
- Depending on what kind of gym we are talking about, it might be plain “rough”
- Not so much a problem for you as you work out in a “good” neighborhood?
Be a Boy Scout
- Be Prepared
- You don’t have control of when and where it is going to happen
- You do have control over your own choices and actions
- Carry your tools
How do People Carry their Handgun when they PT?
The world is a diverse place and there are as many solutions to this exercise/gun problem as there are dumbell exercises. Lets take a look at some of the solutions people employ.
The Gear Change
- Smaller Gun
- Different Holster
- Mexican Carry
- CCW Clothing
- Belly Band
- Pocket Carry
The Off Body Builder
- The Fanny Pack
- Its in the bag!
- I have been working on my exercise carry technique for more than 12 years
- It is a highly specialized system that works for me
- with some slight modifications it might work for you too
- Yup, I wear the same gear with the same clothes to work out that I wear every day.
Let Me Explain
- My casual clothes
- allow freedom of movement
- conceal effectively
- these are the clothes I’m going to fight in when it happens
- I avoid having to worry about spending money on workout clothes
- I do leave some gear behind I don’t carry my spare mags
- I do have to shift my revolver at one point in my workout
- I know my clothing lets me move effectively
- I know my gear is secure
- I know I will have it when I need it